Author Notes: a famiglia tradition for years, this is one of my favorite summer recipes to eat with pretty much any protein or vegetable sides. —cucina di mammina
Makes: one large bowl
8-12 fresh sweet bell peppers (red, yellow and orange in color)
extra virgin olive oil
garlic clove (sliced into thin slices)
inner stalks of celery with tender yellow leaves (finely chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
natural wood or organic charcoal grill
In This Recipe
- Light the charcoal in your outside grill using a charcoal chimney or other non-chemical lighting option and let it burn until the charcoal starts to turn to ash on the outside (approximately 15-20 minutes or so.) Create a hot and cool zone by shifting the burning charcoal around allowing you to control the heat levels as you roast the peppers. Place the washed and dried sweet bell peppers right on the grill and leave them uncovered and untouched.
- Let the peppers roast and you will start to see the skin turn dark and eventually black and ashen in color. Turn the peppers as they start to blacken so all sides are reaching the heat of the coals and once the skin blackened over most of the pepper, remove from the heat and place into a large brown paper bag.
- This will help the skin removal process as the moisture loosens the skin a bit. Using a covered space or table (try newspapers or paper towel) start to peel the skin off the pepper and break into the pepper and remove the stem, inner ribs and all the seeds. Lay the clean sections on clean towels and once all are peeled and prepared, you can begin to assemble this salad.
- In a large bowl, tear the roasted peppers by hand into small strips and then add the chopped celery stalks and leaves and the sliced garlic clove.
- Add a good drizzle of excellent quality olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Mix this well, being sure to coat all the peppers with the oil before setting aside to rest. You can serve this immediately at room temperature or place in the refrigerator to cool. When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator about 15 to 20 minutes before serving so the salad warms up for better flavor and consistency.
- This salad will keep well in a sealed container in the refrigerator for days. This refreshing, bright salad makes a great addition at family barbecues, picnics and neighborhood potluck summer gatherings.
- Note: My famiglia In Italy uses the traditional method for in the roasting process which is to remove the metal grate and set the peppers directly on top of the hot coals achieving maximum burn and flavor. Try this for yourself and see what method you prefer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe