If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An fantastic twist on an Italian classic .. pistachios, feta, capers and quinoa .. wrapped with grilled eggplant .. covered with a hot sauce .. and baked. —VeggiesByCandlelight
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced thin (~ 1/3" - 1/2" thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinches kosher salt
- Frontera's Tomatillo Salsa (or any flavor you like)
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to the package instructions (** Note: bulgur is another good option)
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 cup 2 Tbsp pistachio nuts, roughly chopped, divided (** saving 2 Tbsp for the topping)
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled, divided (** saving 3 oz for the topping)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (** saved from the stuffing above)
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios (** saved from the stuffing above)
- PREPARE THE EGGPLANT
- Brush with a pastry brush .. or spritz the eggplant slices with olive oil Sprinkle with salt & pepper Cook them on the grill until they are slightly browned, and tender on the inside. (Alternately, they can be cooked on the stovetop in a pan with a small amount of olive oil) Let cool.
- Prepare the Stuffing Cook the quinoa (or bulged) according to the recipe on the box Add the rest of the ingredients, except the egg, and combine Add the egg, using your hands to gently combine with the other ingredients
- Assemble and Bake Preheat the oven to 350 Place the grilled eggplants .. one by one .. in front of you Add a couple of spoonfuls of the stuffing at the bottom of eggplant slice & roll it up, lengthwise, away from you. Put the eggplant rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet. Pour the hot sauce over the top and scatter the crumbled feta, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with a pinch of dried basil. Bake 30 minutes Remove from the oven and let it rest at least 15 minutes before serving (the stuffed rolls shouldn't be piping hot) Sprinkle with remaining pistachios before serving