I love asparagus in any way...but lightly steamed, with a hardboiled egg, and some quick marinated red onion, is by far my favorite! I like to serve this salad with lightly toasted bread or corn tortillas topped with avocado and a pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
I love asparagus in any way...but lightly steamed, with a hardboiled egg, and some quick marinated red onion, is by far my favorite! I like to serve this salad with lightly toasted bread or corn tortillas topped with avocado and a pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper.—Poppies and Papayas
For the Vinaigrette
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
tablespoon apple cider vinegar
teaspoon sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
medium red onion, thinly sliced
For the Salad
pasture-raised fresh eggs
lettuce leaves (optional)
- For the Vinaigrette: Mix together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, and sea salt until the salt is dissolved. Add the thinly sliced red onion and mix well. Allow the onions to marinate in the dressing for about 15 minutes.
- For the Salad: Meanwhile, fill a small saucepan about 2/3 with fresh water and bring to a boil. Gently pierce the “butt” ends of the egg with a push pin or small needle. You want to make sure not to push in too far, just enough to pierce a hole into the shell. Gently add the eggs to the boiling water and reduce the heat to medium. Allow the eggs to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes are up quickly rinse the eggs under cold water and set aside on a dry towel to cool further.
- As you are boiling the eggs, place a steamer basket into a large pot and fill with water just so the water is under the basket. Gently bend each asparagus spear at the bottom end until it naturally breaks. Discard the ends into the compost or save for a future asparagus soup. Place the asparagus into the steamer basket, cover the pot and bring the water to a boil. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until the asparagus is bright green and tender. Be careful not to over cook the asparagus, otherwise it will turn green-brown. Once the asparagus has reached optimal color and tenderness quickly rinse the asparagus in cold running water for about 30 seconds to stop the cooking.
- Salad Assembly: Place the lettuce leaves in a nice dish and top with steamed asparagus. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro. Evenly pour the vinaigrette with the marinated onions over the asparagus and top with the sliced hard-boiled eggs. Sprinkle the eggs with chopped cilantro, fresh ground pepper, and a bit of sea salt. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe