If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Original Choco Tacos are filled with fudge-swirled vanilla ice cream and topped with chocolate and peanuts. But it’s your taco party and you can do what you want: Use any kind of ice cream and top with any kind of nuts, sprinkles, or other toppings your taco-loving heart desires. —molly yeh
Makes: 6 to 8
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 10 min
For the shells
cup all-purpose flour
teaspoon kosher salt
tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan
teaspoon almond extract
teaspoon vanilla extract
large egg whites
For the fillings and toppings
ounces dark chocolate chips
tablespoons coconut oil
cups ice cream (original Choco Tacos have fudge-swirled vanilla ice cream, but feel free to use any flavor)
cup crushed nuts, plus any other desired toppings like sprinkles
- First, gather 6-8 1-inch thick hard cover books and wipe the spines and covers clean (you could also cover them in parchment paper). Set them up vertically, spine up, so that they can be your taco shell molds.
- To make the taco shell batter, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the milk, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Then whisk in the egg whites. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to form a smooth batter.
- To cook the shells, heat a skillet over medium heat. Grease it with butter and then spoon in 2 1/2 tablespoons of batter. Spread it out gently with the back of a spoon or offset spatula so you have an even circle. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until slightly brown on the bottom. Flip and cook for 1-2 more minutes, until slightly brown. Remove it from heat and gently fold it over the spine of the book to make a taco shell shape. Let cool on the book.
- To make the chocolate topping, place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted. Let chocolate cool slightly before topping the tacos.
- Let ice cream soften a bit, fill the taco shells, drizzle with as much chocolate as you wish, top with nuts, and enjoy! If you're making these in advance, stick them in the freezer uncovered for a few minutes until the chocolate hardens, and then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until you're ready to eat them.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!