Author Notes: I came up with this recipe on a whim when my boyfriend's parents came in to town. I wanted to create something delicious and familiar, but not fancy. The oil and aroma from the toasted almonds makes this dish addictive. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes: 4 side servings
for the salad:
bunch asparagus (trimmed and cut into 1in. pieces)
cup whole cherry tomatoes
cup raw almond slices/slivers
cup goat cheese (crumbled)
salt and pepper
for the dressing:
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Start by getting out a small saute pan and a medium sauce pan.
- Add the raw almonds to a dry saute pan and heat to medium. Keep an eye on the almonds to make sure they don't burn. Shake them around periodically, cooking for a total of 6-7 minutes. You want them to brown up and become fragrant, but not burn. Remove to a mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil to saute pan and add cherry tomatoes. Add a dash of salt and cook for 5 minutes. Remove to mixing bowl with almonds.
- At the same time as the almonds and tomatoes cook, bring a sauce pan or pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in the asparagus and blanch for 5 minutes. Remove from boiling water directly to a bowl of ice cold water. You want to stop the cooking so it doesn't get soft and soggy. Once cooled, add to the bowl with the almonds and tomatoes.
- Whisk together the dressing and pour over the vegetables. Add goat cheese crumbles, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe