If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came up with this recipe on a whim when my boyfriend's parents came in to town. I wanted to create something delicious and familiar, but not fancy. The oil and aroma from the toasted almonds makes this dish addictive. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 4 side servings
for the salad:
- 1 bunch asparagus (trimmed and cut into 1in. pieces)
- 1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raw almond slices/slivers
- 1/4 cup goat cheese (crumbled)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
for the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Start by getting out a small saute pan and a medium sauce pan.
- Add the raw almonds to a dry saute pan and heat to medium. Keep an eye on the almonds to make sure they don't burn. Shake them around periodically, cooking for a total of 6-7 minutes. You want them to brown up and become fragrant, but not burn. Remove to a mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil to saute pan and add cherry tomatoes. Add a dash of salt and cook for 5 minutes. Remove to mixing bowl with almonds.
- At the same time as the almonds and tomatoes cook, bring a sauce pan or pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in the asparagus and blanch for 5 minutes. Remove from boiling water directly to a bowl of ice cold water. You want to stop the cooking so it doesn't get soft and soggy. Once cooled, add to the bowl with the almonds and tomatoes.
- Whisk together the dressing and pour over the vegetables. Add goat cheese crumbles, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe