If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Seasonal salad that is the utilization of the bounty of your garden or trip to the Farmer's Market. Farm to Table. —Jessica Kuklo
- 3 Large Heirloom Tomatoes Cored and Sliced in 1/4" inch Slices
- 1/2 cup Small Heirloom Tomatoes i.e. Jelly Beans, Grape Slice in Half
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Fresh Field Peas, Rinsed and Drained
- 3 ounces Smoked Ham Hock
- 1 Small White Onion Peeled and Quartered
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Thyme
- 2 cups Peanut Oil
- 6 tablespoons Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Coarse Ground Cornmeal
- 10 Baby Okra Trimmed
- 4 Slices of Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Chopped Chives
- 1 Small Garlic Clove Minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Creme Fraiche
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Torn Green and Purple Basil
- 1 cup Fresh Silver Queen Corn
- Sprinkle cut sides of tomatoes with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt; drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and vinegar. Set aside.
- Combine peas, ham hock, onion, and thyme in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; simmer 15 minutes or until peas are just tender, stirring occasionally. Remove peas from water than cook the corn till tender drain and cool. Discard ham hock, onion, and thyme.
- Clip a candy/fry thermometer onto the side of a large skillet; add 2 cups peanut oil to pan. Heat peanut oil to 350°. Place 1/4 cup buttermilk in a shallow dish. Combine flour, cornmeal, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish, stirring well. Dip okra in buttermilk; dredge in flour mixture. Place okra in hot oil; fry 2 minutes or until golden, making sure oil temperature remains at 350°. Remove okra using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Divide tomato slices evenly among 2 plates; top each serving evenly with cherry tomatoes. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons peas over each tomato stack. Arrange 1/2 cup of corn around the base of tomato stack. Arrange 5 pieces fried okra on each serving; Cross 2 slices of bacon on top of each salad
- Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk, chives, and garlic in a small bowl. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and juice; stir well with a whisk. Gradually add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, while whisking vigorously. Stir in crème fraîche. Drizzle 2 tablespoons dressing mixture over each serving; top with 1 tablespoon basil.