Author Notes: Experimenting with alternative recipes for gluten-free tortillas to make at home, and found this amazing recipe via Pinterest. They have a chewy tortilla-like consistency, very pliable for wraps and tacos, and are highlighted by the chickpea and ground flax seed content, which ups it in fiber and protein!! It makes about 4-6 small/medium size tortillas so depending on how thin/thick you'd like the results will vary. Adjust the quantities to make more tortillas but this is perfect to make just in time for dinner on a weeknight =) —Stacy
tablespoons ground flaxseeds (or flaxseed meal)
tablespoons warm water
cup chickpea flour
pinches sea salt, turmeric, cumin
olive oil, to thin as desired
- Whisk the ground flaxseeds and warm water together in a small bowl. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken until it comes together.
- Add thicken ground flax seed with the rest of the ingredients. Whisk in the water starting with 1/3 cup at a time. Mixture should be like pancake batter, no lumps. For thinner tortillas add more water (up to 1 cup).
- Preheat a lightly greased a 9" pan on medium heat. Pour ~1/2 cup batter and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Cook 1st side for about 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of your batter. You're ready to flip when the edges start to become golden and dry. Flip and cook on the other side for about a minute more.
- Serve as tortillas, pizzas, or tart/pie crust, or wrap!