If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A friend in Scotland served us a soup that I found hauntingly delicious. Smooth and creamy, it was also redolent of spice and something not immediately familiar. That strange flavor was parsnips, an ingredient I had little experience prior. Luckily, I was able to extract the recipe from her.
This soup is rich without being overly fatty, and has extraordinarily complex flavor for so few ingredients. Best of all, it's dead simple. —Hedonia
large onion, diced
pound parsnips, peeled and cubed
quarts chicken or vegetable stock
teaspoons curry powder
tablespoons lowfat plain yogurt
- Sauté the onions in butter until softened.
- Add the parsnips and sauté another few minutes.
- Add the curry, toss, and cook 1-2 more minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the stock, and simmer 20 minutes, until the parsnips are extremely tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, in batches if necessary, and purée well.
- Pass through a sieve to remove any fibrous bits. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Swirl in a tablespoonful spoonful of yogurt when serving.