If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This simple brown rice porridge with toasted pecans & strawberry-rhubarb puree is breakfast comfort food .. if there ever was one. A cross between oatmeal & rice pudding & made with homemade vanilla almond milk
~ Adapted from Bon Appetit | June 2014 —VeggiesByCandlelight
cup pecans, chopped
cups unsweetened almond milk
cup short-grain brown rice
tablespoons coconut sugar
pinches kosher salt
vanilla bean, split lengthwise (** or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
cup strawberry-rhubarb puree
Strawberry Rhubarb Puree
pound rhubarb, fresh, chopped
pounds fresh strawberries, chopped
cup coconut sugar
- FOR THE BROWN RICE PORRIDGE
- In a cast-iron skillet, on medium-low, heat the coconut oil. Add pecans and toast them until golden brown (~ 5-6 minutes). Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Combine almond milk, rice, sugar, salt, and 4 cups water in a large saucepan; scrape in vanilla seeds and add pod.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is very tender and mixture resembles loose rice pudding or oatmeal, 60-70 minutes.
- Remove vanilla pod.
- Serve porridge topped with strawberry rhubarb puree (or jam) and toasted pecans.
- STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB PUREE
- Add strawberries & rhubarb to a large pot (** Note: you'll want plenty of room .. as this can bubble up quite a bit) Sprinkle coconut sugar over the fruit & stir until fruit is coated
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture just beings to bubble, stirring every now & then to ensure the fruit cooks evenly.
- Turn the heat to low & let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes or until the fruit start to mash easily with slight pressure from the spoon. (Stirring periodically as the fruit simmers)
- Once the fruit is soft, mash it for a chunky texture or use an immersion blender to achieve a smooth puree