- Serves 4
This simple brown rice porridge with toasted pecans & strawberry-rhubarb puree is breakfast comfort food .. if there ever was one. A cross between oatmeal & rice pudding & made with homemade vanilla almond milk
~ Adapted from Bon Appetit | June 2014 —VeggiesByCandlelight
unsweetened almond milk
short-grain brown rice
vanilla bean, split lengthwise (** or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Puree
rhubarb, fresh, chopped
1 1/2 pounds
fresh strawberries, chopped
- FOR THE BROWN RICE PORRIDGE
- In a cast-iron skillet, on medium-low, heat the coconut oil. Add pecans and toast them until golden brown (~ 5-6 minutes). Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Combine almond milk, rice, sugar, salt, and 4 cups water in a large saucepan; scrape in vanilla seeds and add pod.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is very tender and mixture resembles loose rice pudding or oatmeal, 60-70 minutes.
- Remove vanilla pod.
- Serve porridge topped with strawberry rhubarb puree (or jam) and toasted pecans.
- STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB PUREE
- Add strawberries & rhubarb to a large pot (** Note: you'll want plenty of room .. as this can bubble up quite a bit) Sprinkle coconut sugar over the fruit & stir until fruit is coated
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture just beings to bubble, stirring every now & then to ensure the fruit cooks evenly.
- Turn the heat to low & let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes or until the fruit start to mash easily with slight pressure from the spoon. (Stirring periodically as the fruit simmers)
- Once the fruit is soft, mash it for a chunky texture or use an immersion blender to achieve a smooth puree