Author Notes: Make the most of strawberry season with this savoury Strawberry Risotto, veganized from my mother in laws recipe. In addition to veganizing this recipe I also used brown rice. Since brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice, you'll have to par-boil it. To to do this, just add the brown rice to a pot of water and boil uncovered for about 20 minutes, drain, and spread in a large baking dish to cool and stop the cooking process. I used Baldo brown rice for risotto (you can also use arborio or carnaroli). —Nissrine @ Harmony à la Carte
cups Par-boiled Baldo Brown Rice for risotto (as indicated in the note above)
grams Fresh Organic Strawberries (about 12 small strawberries + a few more for garnish)
Shallot, finely diced
cups Vegetable Broth
tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch Sea Salt
cup White Wine or Champagne (optional)
dashes Vegan Butter (optional)
Drop Sugar Free Balsamic Vinegar Glaze (optional)
- Prepare homemade broth or heat store-bought broth (preferably low sodium and diluted in water to lighten the flavour) in a pot and keep hot throughout the cooking process, as indicated in point 6 above.
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add finely diced shallots and a pinch of salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooled, par-boiled rice to a very hot pan and dry toast the grains for 2-3 minutes until slightly translucent and hot to the touch (do not brown the rice)
- Add wine or champagne, if using, and let cook for 5 minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Add sautéed onions to the toasted rice and mix to combine.
- Cover in broth (about 3-4 ladles), stir and let simmer on medium-low heat.
- Once broth has been partially absorbed, add another ladle of broth to just cover the rice, stir then let simmer. Repeat this step several times until rice is cooked, but still firm to the bite (al dente). The texture of the risotto should be creamy, not runny or clumpy.
- In the final step, you can add a dollop of vegan butter or Almond Butter Cream to the risotto (optional) and a drizzle of balsamic glaze (optional) and stir it throughout before plating and serving.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and serve hot - buon appetito!