Author Notes: No frills or fancy ingredients, just a simple "Dalmatian" seasoning of coarse salt, freshly cracked pepper and olive oil rubbed all over. Grilled over high heat for a short time (2 minutes) these grilled asparagus tips come out perfectly medium-rare, with a grilled exterior and juicy snap to its interior. —Justin Miller
tablespoon olive oil
tablespoon coarse salt
tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat an outdoor grill to high heat.
- After rinsing the asparagus under cool water, grab one end in each hand and bend the asparagus spears in half gently until they naturally snap. Place the tips into a bowl.
- Add to the asparagus tips 1 tablespoon each of olive oil, coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Getting your hands dirty, mix everything together until the asparagus tips are evenly coated with the olive oil and Dalmatian seasonings.
- Carefully place the tips across the preheated grill grates, cover and allow to cook undisturbed for 60 seconds over direct high heat.
- Briskly but carefully, turn each tip so that the side of the asparagus tips that was facing away from the flame is now in direct contact with it.
- Cover and cook undisturbed for 60 more seconds, then remove and serve immediately.