If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Baingan Burtha is a part of Indian cuisine. It is prepared by grilling the aubergine/eggplant over charcoal or direct fire to infuse a smoky flavor. The grilled aubergine/eggplant is mashed, spices are added and seasoned. This dish is traditionally served with Indian Flatbreads or Rice. —Ashwini Musti
Aubergine/Eggplant, Onion, Tomato, Cilantro, Turmeric powder, Red Chili Flakes, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Salt.
- 1 piece Aubergine
- 1 piece Onion
- 1 piece Tomato
- 2 pieces Green Chilis
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Cilantro
- 0.25 teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Table Salt
Vegetable Oil, Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Dry Red Chillis, Curry Leaves, Asafoetida Powder
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 0.5 teaspoons Mustard Seeds
- 0.5 teaspoons Cumin Seeds
- 1 piece Dry Red Chilli
- 4 pieces Curry Leaves
- 1 pinch Asafoetida Powder
- Rub a teaspoon oil to the aubergine and grill it on open flame till it becomes soft and shrunken. Keep turning the sides of the aubergine so that all the sides of it come in contact with the flame. This might take a 20-30 minutes. Alternatively, you can grill on charcoal.
- Place the grilled aubergine in a plate and allow it cool down.
- Remove the charred skin of the aubergine. This takes some amount of time to get a clean pulp.
- Gently mash the pulp with a fork. Set aside.
- Chop onion and tomato.
- Slice the green chillis.
- Heat oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilli pieces and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and sliced green chillis. Saute until onion turns translucent in color.
- Add chopped tomato. Saute until it turns soft and mushy.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with your choice of Indian Flatbread or Steamed Rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish