Author Notes: the first, and I think only, time I have ever had chicken cooked with goat cheese was at Michael's in New York City. I thought the tang of the goat cheese, the moistness of the chicken, and the crispness of the chicken skin was out of this world. since then I've played around with my own recipe. I like to make this when I'm having people over because it can be make a bit ahead of time. —sweet enough
chicken legs (you can also use breasts with the skin and bone in if you want white meat)
bunch of fresh thyme
shallots, finely minced
cups goat cheese, at room temp
lemons, thinly sliced
scant tablespoon lemon zest
tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
- preheat oven to 420 degrees
- in a bowl mix together the goat cheese, lemon zest, shallots, about two tablespoons of the fresh thyme leaves, and salt and pepper.
- peel back the skin of the chicken parts to create a small pocket in each part. stuff each part with about 11/2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture. sprinkle the parts with salt and pepper and place parts in a roasting pan. sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of the thyme leaves over the top and place two or three lemon slices on each piece of meat. drizzle the olive oil over the chicken and place in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- turn on broiler in your oven and broil the chicken for about 5 minutes more or until the skin and lemon slices are nicely browned.
- transfer to platter and serve.