Author Notes: I don't often have fresh mozzarella in the house for a caprese salad but I almost always have blue cheese and in the the summer when the tomatoes are very ripe and juicy, I'll make a "caprese" salad with tomatoes and blue cheese. The tomatoes aren't there yet but grape tomatoes are sweet year round, and pairing them with zucchini makes for a wonderful side! (This one is easily expandable) —inpatskitchen
medium zucchini (mine was about 8 inches long and weighed about 3/4 pound)
large grape tomatoes
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
Salt and pepper
Two 12 inch wooden skewers
cup crumbled blue cheese (use your favorite)
A few basil leaves
- Slice the zucchini on a slant into ovals just under 1/2 inch. Place the zucchini and grape tomatoes in a bowl and toss them with the 3 tablespoon olive oil and a little salt and pepper.
- Thread the grape tomatoes on the skewers (about 6 on each)
- Heat your grill to medium high and grill the tomatoes slightly. Grill the zucchini until lightly charred.
- Arrange the zucchini and tomatoes decoratively on a plate or platter. Sprinkle the blue cheese over. Dress lightly with a drizzle of olive oil and then tear the basil leaves and scatter over. Serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish