Author Notes: Goes by different name and different forms in east Asia! But it tastes just as delicious with a curry... OR with caramel sauce (if you want a cheeky sweet version!) —Dinithi
cups All Purpose Flour
tablespoons melted butter/ ghee/ oil
tablespoons milk (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt and on a low setting in your mixer add the butter/oil and milk (If using), followed by half the water.
- Add more water to incorporate the dough together to form a ball. (You will need to stop the mixer and use your hands to check on the dough by scraping the sides). Add more water if the dough is too dry, or add more flour if the dough is too wet.
- Change from the mixer attachment to the dough hook to make kneading easier. Knead for a few minutes on medium speed until the dough is smooth and not sticky. (you can use your hands to knead as well, but can take a longer time)
- Cut the dough ball into 12 portions and ball them and place them in an oiled bowl.
- Pour the cup of oil over the dough balls. This step is important as it allows the dough to rest and soften. You can add a little more to cover them, but if you put a plastic wrap over the dough balls to cover them, the oil will coat (even thinly) all of them.
- Leave the dough to rest for at least 6 hours preferably overnight.
- Stretch out each dough on a well oiled smooth surface with oiled hands. You should be able to stretch it out till the dough can be pulled thin without tearing it. You should be able to see a finger through the dough when you hold your fingers behind it.
- Gather the stretched dough to form a long rope (with lots of folds created by the thin dough)
- Twirl the "rope" into a tight disc with the end tucked under and leave it to rest for another 15-20 minutes.
- Roll this out with an oiled rolling pin
- Cook this in a medium hot pan, or griddle (no oiling required) a few minutes each side until you can see golden brown spots. You can even make this flat bread on a grill!
- Eat warm with you favourite curry OR you can fill it up with your favourite protein and have it as a wrap too!