If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Trying to figure out how to stand out from the crowd at our annual block party, I just looked in the fridge for some inspiration. I love the idea of using a decadent ingredient like bacon to bump up the flavor of a healthier protein like turkey. —Jodi Taffel
Makes 18 sliders
For gaugeres and marmalade
- FOR PARMESAN GAUGERES
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces sweet butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- canola oil for brushing on cookie sheet
- FOR BACON MOSCATO MARMALADE
- 4 slices jalapeño bacon (if you can’t find jalapeño bacon, use regular and add ½ teaspoon hot sauce while frying it)
- 1 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Moscato wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- FOR GAUGERES: Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the water, butter, salt, and granulated sugar in a large saucepan and bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. When it boils, immediately take the pan off the heat.
- Stirring with a wooden spoon, add all the flour at once and stir hard until all the flour is incorporated, 30 to 60 seconds. Return the pan to the heat and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes to evaporate some of the moisture.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until each is fully incorporated. After each one, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix until the dough is smooth and glossy and the eggs are completely incorporated. The dough should be thick, but should fall slowly and steadily from the whisk when you lift it out of the bowl.
- Fold in the Parmesan cheese.
- Grease and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Using a pastry bag, pipe the dough into 18 half dollar size circles onto 2 cookie sheets. Dip your finger in flour and push down the points to smooth out any bumps.
- Bake 15 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake until puffed up and golden brown, about 20 minutes more. Let the gaugeres cool until ready to assemble the burgers.
- FOR THE MARMALADE: Chop up the bacon and fry it in a small saucepan. (5 minutes)
- When the bacon is almost crisp, add the minced onion and cook until it’s browned (10 minutes).
- Add the maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and add the Moscato.
- Return to the heat and cook until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy. (5 minutes.) Set aside until ready to assemble the burgers.
For the slaw and the burgers
- FOR GREEN APPLE SLAW
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup jicama, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium green apple, cut into matchsticks
- 1 scallion
- 1 small shallot
- 1/2 cup creamy italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- FOR THE TURKEY BACON BURGERS
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless turkey thighs
- 1/2 pound jalepeno bacon
- 1 egg
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 medium green apples
- 1/2 pound grated smoked Gouda cheese (half goes inside the burgers. half goes on top of the burgers)
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Canola Oil for brushing on the grill
- FOR SLAW: Combine all the dressing ingredients in the bottom of a large bowl. Add all the slaw ingredients on top, and toss to coat. Set aside until ready to assemble the burgers.
- FOR BURGERS: Heat grill to medium high.
- Cube turkey thighs and add to a food processor with the bacon. Pulse until it resembles ground meat.
- Peel and quarter the onion. Remove the core and seeds from the apples. Switch the food processor to the julienne attachment and add the onion and apple.
- Switch mixture from the food processor to a mixing bowl and add ½ of your grated smoked Gouda cheese. (The rest goes on top of the burgers)
- Add the remaining ingredients. Mix gently, just until it all incorporates.
- Form the mix into 18 equal size patties.
- Brush the grill with canola oil and grill the patties, 4 minutes. Flip and grill the other side for 3 minutes.
- Top evenly with the remaining shredded smoked Gouda cheese and cook another minute, letting the cheese melt.
- Remove from the grill and let rest while you slice the gaugeres.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Slice the gaugeres in half. Place 1 teaspoon of Bacon Moscato Marmalade on the bottom. Place a burger patty on top of that. Place 1 tablespoon of slaw on top of the burger. Add the top bun and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Burger Recipe