If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This makes a quick and delicious base for tacos and burritos. It's a GF & vegan option that doesn't seem like a second-place finish - we are proud to serve these alongside more traditional tacos. The filling can also be used to stuff omelettes, snack on as part of nachos, or add some spicy protein to salads. —Magpye
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1-3 teaspoons hot pepper flakes (adjust to your liking)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons marjoram (or oregano)
- 1 ounce tequila
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Rinse quinoa and lentils thoroughly, and drain. Next, place them in a bowl and cover with fresh water. Soak for about 15 minutes and drain.
- While quinoa and lentils are soaking, heat a medium size saute pan (or wok) over medium heat and add oil, onions and garlic. Saute until golden, then add in cumin, salt, hot pepper flakes and black pepper (marjoram will be added later) and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Drain soaked quinoa and lentils, and place in medium sauce pan along with 3 cups water and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a simmer and cover, cooking for 15 minutes (they will be sightly underdone at this point). Pour in to a strainer and rinse briefly Drain well.
- Add cooked quinoa and lentils to pan containing onion, garlic and spice mixture. Add marjoram, tequila, soy sauce and 1/2 c water. Cook and stir over medium high heat until water is absorbed (about 5 minutes)
- To serve: Use as you would any taco filling. Our favorite combo is corn tortillas, sour cream or crema, cheddar cheese, cilantro and lime.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner That Makes a Good Lunch