If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Easily doubled or tripled, this recipe is bound to both serve and please a crowd! The slight spiciness of the refried beans is balanced with the fresh creaminess of the greek yogurt, and the tangy guacamole pairs beautifully with the chunky salsa. This recipe can be served in individual dishes for easy serving, or layered spectacularly in a clear shallow serving dish, so everyone can dig in to catch all the layers! —Hilary
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, whole
- 1 can black turtle beans, rinsed
- 0.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 0.5 teaspoons chili powder (Mexican)
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 1 lime
- salt to taste
- 2 ripe avocados
- 0.5 lime, juiced
- 0.25 cups chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander
- salt, to taste
- 0.5 cups salsa (I used Trader Joe's sun-roasted tomato salsa)
- 0.5 cups plain greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Add the oil to a frying pan and heat over medium heat. Add the garlic clove, allowing it to brown slightly on all sides. Smash the garlic with the back of the spoon, careful not to not let it burn,
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the beans and spices. Once heated through add a couple tablespoons of water and mash the beans with a potato masher until desired consistency
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice, salt, and more water if desired. Leave it to cool.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado in a small bowl and stir in the lime juice, onion, and garlic, salt, and coriander.
- For layering your dish, spread the refried beans on the bottom, followed by the avocado, then the salsa, then the greek yogurt. Sprinkle on the cheese just before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.