Author Notes: I ran into my uncle one evening after a long day at work. He said he was going home to saute an avocado in olive oil and toss it with pasta. That sounded good to me. So I bought a perfectly ripe avocado, went home and put my own spin on my uncle's idea. —mary mcdonald
ounces vermicelli or pasta of choice
tablespoons olive oil
clove garlic, minced
juice from 1/2 lemon
avocado, diced and tossed with the lemon juice
tablespoon grated romano cheese
salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in salted water. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- While pasta cooks, heat oil in skillet (medium heat). Add anchovie filet and break it up with a spoon as it heats.
- Stir in garlic and let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in avacado smashing it with a spoon as it heats through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta and pasta cooking water.
- Let it sauce reduce a bit then add romano cheese.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.