If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Summer Cake: This ultra-light lemony-basil chiffon cake, paired with lemon mascarpone frosting and fresh berries, will melt in your mouth. Here, I use lovely and unique black raspberries and other fresh berries. —Petit World Citizen
Lemon-Basil Chiffon Cake
- 1 cup Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, for garnish
- 1 bunch edible flowers, for garnish
- 1 cup fresh berries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F/ (180C).
- Line an 8x2-inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Do NOT butter the pan or parchment.
- Grate the zest from the lemon and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift and combine the flour and baking powder. Add 1/4 cup sugar.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon zest, egg yolks and water. Add basil.
- In a third bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until the egg whites are frothy. Slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then fold in the egg whites. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool in pan on a wire rack for about 15 minutes. Then, run a thin knife or frosting spatula around the edge of the pan to loosen cake. Invert the cake onto a wire rack, remove parchment, and allow to cool completely.
- This recipe makes one layer of cake. You will need to double the recipe or make it twice for two layers.
- When the cakes are totally cool, place one layer on a serving dish. Spread a layer of frosting on top and then place other cake layer on top. Spread a layer of frosting on the top of the second cake layer and enjoy decorating the rest of the cake with fresh basil leaves, flowers and fresh berries. Serve slices of the cake with extra berries as a light and refreshing summer dessert.
Lemon Mascarpone Frosting
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix until combined, about 1 minute. Please note, DO NOT OVERBEAT. The mascarpone cheese will curdle if you beat it too long. Again, mix/beat only until the ingredients are combined.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe