Adapted from Weight Watchers Magazine, July/Aug 2014
Adapted from Weight Watchers Magazine, July/Aug 2014—Aileen Metcalf
cups organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob's Red Mill
teaspoon baking powder, aluminum-free
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon sea salt
tablespoons organic non-hydrogenated shortening, like Spectrum
cup coconut sugar
Zest from one orange
tablespoon flaxseed, ground
tablespoons orange-infused vodka
cup almond milk, or another type of non-dairy milk
plums, sliced thinly
In This Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Grease an 8x8 oven-safe container with coconut oil or line it with parchment paper.
- Combine the flax and vodka in a small bowl and let it thicken for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar, shortening, zest, and vanilla. Add the almond milk and flax mixture. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Placed the sliced plums on top and press down slightly. Sprinkle it with some organic cane sugar and almond slices.
- Bake the buckle for 35-40 minutes. Insert a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean.