If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: summer eggplant dish that is just perfect for serving as an appetizer or light meal with a garden salad and your wine of choice. —cucina di mammina
Makes: about 15 rolls
approx. 4 to 6 Japanese or Chinese purple/white eggplant or small sized Italian purple eggplant
fresh homemade ricotta (my recipe on Food52)
fresh buffalo mozzarella
fresh basil leaves
summer tomato sauce (my recipe on Food52)
sea salt and pepper
grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Wash and dry the eggplants and lightly peel them to remove some of the skin (leave some strips on.) Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 inch or so thickness and set aside.
- Place the slices on a vegetable grill rack (or place in your grill pan) and season lightly with sea salt, pepper and a light drizzle of olive oil.
- Grill all the pieces in this style until lightly cooked through (and you see grill marks); they will cook a bit more in the oven to finish. Remove the grilled slices and lay them flat to cool slightly.
- Prepare the involtini (or rolls) by adding a spoonful of ricotta and/or two small thin slices of the buffalo mozzarella.
- Cover this with a spoonful of the summer tomato sauce and sprinkle liberally with the grated cheese. Place one to two basil leaves on top and carefully roll the eggplant up until you reach the end and hold it together by inserting a toothpick all the way through.
- Prepare all the eggplant slices until done and place in a medium to large baking dish, spoon some more summer tomato sauce over the top lightly and drizzle them with a bit more olive oil.
- Place in a 425 degree fahrenheit oven and bake for approximately 15 to 16 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.