If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The idea was deconstructed salsa on rice. It's glorious to look at and was a hit in my restaurant when I was foolish enough to open one. But not that much of a hit apparently. —Michael Dillon
Make the rice
- 1 cup rice
- 1.5 cups chicken stock (water works but add a tsp salt)
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, taste and adjust salt
- In a pot with a tight lid add stock or water, bring to boil, add rice reduce to lowest possible setting for 15 minutes, turn off rice and let stand until cool, 1 hour. Do not open the pot at all during this. Stir in oil while still warm, let cool further add cilantro and toss, adjust salt, and lots of pepper and toss.
Make the salad
- 3-4 Small to medium tomatoes (large ones break apart) cut into wedges
- 2-3 Avocados, cut into slices or chunks
- 1 Small can of sliced black olives drained(strong flavored olives overpower this salad)
- 3 green onions finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 splash balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all the ingredients and let sit at room temperature for at least an hour and then re-toss.
- I usually serve the rice and the salad side by side in the same bowl.