If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My family likes to play a cooking challenge called 3 Ingredients. Someone names three ingredients, and somebody else has to come up with a new recipe. One time the list read: Avocado, Apple, Anchovy. And this salad was my answer. It now is a staple in our house. —happystomachs blog
Makes 4 servings
- 4 pieces thick slices of bread, left out for half a day
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 piece Romaine lettuce
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 pieces garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 12 pieces anchovy fillets, flat, chopped
- 1 piece Avocado
- 2 pieces chicken egg
- 4 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated
- 2 pieces lemon, juiced
- 2 pieces apple (a tart breed like Granny Smith, etc.)
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut bread into even cubes. In a bowl, toss the cubes in the olive oil until evenly coated. Transfer onto the baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Wash Romaine and meticulously dry every single leaf, either with a salad spinner or a towel. Don't cut the salad yet. Store it in the fridge until later.
- In a large enough bowl, mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, pressed garlic and chopped anchovy.
- Peel and take pit out of the avocado, cut into coarse cubes and mash with a fork. Add to the liquid until completely incorporated. Add, one at a time, the eggs, Parmigiano Reggiano, lemon juice and black pepper. Make sure to incorporate very well. Taste and, if necessary, adjust to your liking.
- Cut the Romaine into bite sized pieces and put into a large salad bowl.
- Peel the apples, cut into quarters and cut out the core. Using a mandoline, cut the quarters into very thin slices, directly into the salad bowl.
- Mix the apples and Romaine throughly. Add dressing and patiently toss the salad so every part of every piece is coated. Divide the salad between four plates and top with croutons. Serve immediately.