Author Notes: Lighten up your weekly pasta night by subbing zucchini ribbons for heavy pasta in this zucchini pesto pasta dish. Perfect for summer! —Deborah Davis
cup olive oil
cups fresh basil leaves
cup halved walnuts
ounces parmesan cheese
In This Recipe
- To make the pesto, combine the fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and walnuts in a food processor. Puree until no large pieces remain.
- Cut zucchini into ribbons by running peeler along the zucchini long ways. Save the inner seedy part for another recipe. Two zucchinis will make about 1½ - 2 cups of pasta.
- Salt the zucchinis and place in a colander. Let them sit for about 10 minutes then pat dry as best you can with some paper towels.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Heat water under a steamer basket. When boiling, add the zucchini ribbons to the steamer basket and cover. Cook for 1½ - 2 minutes.
- Toss the zucchini noodles into the ice bath for 1 minute. Pour into a colander to drain off the cold water and pick out any remaining ice cubes.
- Toss the zucchini ribbons in the pesto and top each individual serving with additional parmesan and cherry tomatoes.