If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: a classic vietnamese cold noodle bowl made at home —Krissy
for the salad
- 1 palm sized head of little gem lettuce
- 1 cup peeled cucumber cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup shredded or matchstick cut carrots
- 1/4 cup cilantro & mint leaves
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts or pea shoots
- 1 handful chopped peanuts or cashews
- 1 serving of protein if desired per bowl. Smoked tofu, prawns or sirloin make lovely options
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil and pour over rice noodles. Let t them stand and test for doneness - they should be ever so slightly underdone so when the sauce is added they will soak it up. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside. Make sure they are thoroughly drained before adding to salad. **(usually rice noodles come in large bunches of 3 within the package. Split 1 bunch between 2 people. If not use aprox 1cup of cooked noodles per serving) While the noodles are cooking drizzle a pan with oil of your choice (sesame is nice) and saute scallions over a low heat until very soft. When the are done remove oil and scallions and set aside. Assemble portions of cucumber, carrots, lettuce, bean sprouts, herbs and peanuts in the bottom of a large bowl. Place the drained noodles on top and drizzle with scallions & oil. If using place protein on top. Serve accompanied with sauce, large reserved wedge of lime & sriracha sauce. Pour sauce down over the top of the noodles just before eating & enjoy !
for the sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 limes. reserve half of 1 lime for salad and juice the rest
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 dash brown rice vinegar
- whisk all ingredients together into a bowl and portion into two small serving bowls and set aside. This sauce will be poured over the dish just before serving.