If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Think of the tales of the gingerbread cottage in the woods, or of Gingy in Shrek, if you're a millennial like me. Smell the mixed scents of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in one - spicy and sweet. Inhale deeply, and add in some orange - sour-sweet, rum - sweet and lightly bittered, and a pinch of honey.
Of course, there's no alcohol in this - I'm underage! But the flavours are present - sans bitterness, and pancakes incredibly fluffy with the psyllium husk. Don't be fooled by the seemingly long list of ingredients, after all, it's just a orange, pancake batter, and some rum extract, really.
For Gingerbread Pancakes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk
- 1/3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup/sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest ; optional
For Honey-Rum poached Orange and Orange-Rum Cream
- 1 orange
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- Sift together flour, psyllium husk, baking powder, sweetener, if dry, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir in applesauce, egg and orange zest. Add in the sweetener now, if it's a liquid. Whisk till a smooth batter forms.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, until a drop of water sizzles when it comes into contact. Spread pancake batter onto pan in 3-cm rounds, approximately 2 heaping tsp worth.
- Cook until a few bubbles appear, a minute or so, then flip and cook for half a minute more. Set aside.
- For orange: Boil water, 1/2 tsp rum extract, 1 tsp honey and salt. Lower heat to a simmer, then add in 7 orange segments and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- For Cream: Stir remaining ingredients together well. Layer between pancakes, add oranges, and serve. Enjoy.