If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Vanilla extract is frequently used in dessert recipes but unfortunately is really hard to find natural vanilla extract in Turkey, what you can find in markets are made of synthetic ingredients. Making your own vanilla extract at home is so easy and so economical (and most importantly free of synthetic ingredients!!) It would be silly not to make our own. http://lazysundayproject.com/vanilya-ozutu-vanilla-extract/ —Ekin Soyaslan
- 6 vanilla beans (you can use up to 8 but then you’ll have to be careful when you use it since the essence will be super powerful!)
- 250 milliliters vodka of fine quality
- Chose a bottle that you can close tightly (a kilner or similar)
- Split the vanilla beans lengthwise in half and place in the bottle and add the vodka. (The vodka should cover all the beans; if beans are too long you can cut them in half)
- Store your mixture in a cool, dark spot for at least 2 month before using and don’t forget to shake the bottle once in a week.
- You can use the extract for a year. It’ll probably retain its freshness over 1 year but no need to take risk. Right? P.S.: If you don’t have a specific curiosity to vanilla beans it’s hard to understand the quality. I, personally, try to choose by its dryness level. It should not be too dry, and the middle part should be puffy.