- Serves 6
Our CSA farmers went on vacation, and came back to find Mother Nature had been overly kind to them. The Patty Pan squash had grown to 6-8" across They seemed to think this was a problem, and offered people as many as they wanted. I took three, along with a baseball bat sized zucchini. —maxine in ri
large patty pan squash
small fennel, body and bare stalks
vegetable broth, divided
oil for the pan
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add squash and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from water and rinse to cool.
- Slice off top 1/2" of squashes. Scoop out seeds, and chop any flesh into small pieces and add it to the pan with the sauteed vegetables. Add 1/4 cup broth and saute until it has been absorbed. Sprinkle with a little sugar and the curry powder. Cook 1-2 minutes longer to mellow the curry.
- Add the rice and the rest of the broth. Cook until rice is heated.
- Oil the inside of a deep sided pan and place the squash in it. Spoon rice mixture into hollow. Top with a little tomato sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until squash is cooked through.