If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An amazing Italian soup, filled with chick peas (garbanzo beans) carrots, celery and wonderful spices. Absolutely delicious. —An Italian in my kitchen
- 1 cup dried chick peas (soaked overnight) in 5 cups water (rinse before using)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- dashes thyme
- hot pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup small dried pasta
- In a medium pot add olive oil, carrots, celery, salt, basil, oregano, thyme,hot pepper flakes, water, tomato puree and chick peas. Cook over medium heat till boiling, stirring until all ingredients are combined. Once boiling, reduce heat and stirring occasionally.
- Cook for approximately 50-60 minutes, (don't forget to taste for tenderness of the chick peas and salt) Once the peas are tender add another cup of water (depending on how soupy you like it, you may need to add more). Bring to a boil and immediately add the pasta (I used ditalini, but my mother-in-law uses broken spaghetti, your choice) stirring constantly (taste again for salt), Cook till pasta reaches the al dente stage, (about 5 minutes for small pasta).
- When done, remove from heat, serve immediately and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Buon Appetito!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup