If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe came about after a coworker had gifted me with a big bag of green tomatoes and some hot peppers. It is based loosely around the Mexican sauce Pipian Verde with the inclusion of pumpkin seeds. The tomatoes and jalapeno are first roasted, which could easily be done on the BBQ as well as the oven. I served mine with some crumbled goat cheese, some maple chipotle pumpkin seeds and a dash of habanero hot sauce. The soup is (lacto)vegetarian as long as you use vegetable stock. —SugarnStuff
- 2 pounds green tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers (depending on how much heat you like)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup green pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups milk, or cream if you want a richer soup
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup spreadable goat cheese/chevre
- sea salt, to taste
- Start by roasting the first four ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking pan with some of the olive oil, assemble the tomatoes, jalapenos and garlic on pan, and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat. Place in oven to roast until softened, 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven, scrape seeds and remove stems from jalapenos and place all in blender along with pumpkin seeds and stock. Puree until smooth.
- Place a large saucepan over low-medium heat. Add puree mixture, as well as the remaining ingredients. Gradually bring the soup to medium heat and simmer until the goat cheese is fully melted into the soup. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Optional: toast the following in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, •1 cup pumpkin seeds/pepitas •1 tbsp maple syrup •1 tbsp olive oil •1/2 tsp chipotle powder • sea salt These are also great to top salads. Serve with the soup, as well as crumbled goat cheese and your favorite hot sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup