If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was inspired - chickpeas coupled with Chardonnay and tomato sauce - and it proved to be sublime!
—THE MATH CHEF
CHARDONNAY AND TOMATO SOUP
pound raw chickpeas
milliliters bottle of Chardonnay, good drinking quality
tablespoons olive oil, preferably organic extra-virgin
head of garlic
sprigs mint leaves
tablespoons kosher or sea salt
cups unsalted and unspiced tomato sauce
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, on the "fine" setting
- Place the raw chickpeas in a stainless steel bowl and pour water to the level 2" above the level of the chickpeas. Soak overnight.
- Rinse the chickpeas with cold filtered water, removing any impurities. Cook until softened.
- Immerse the sprigs of mint leaves in cold filtered water, add the kosher or sea salt, for a half hour. Rinse the mint leaves with cold filtered water, removing any impurities. Remove the stems, and mince the leaves.
- Trim the scallions, and chop them finely. Peel and mince the garlic.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the olive oil, adding the chickpeas one layer at a time, reserving the sautéed layers in a large stainless steel bowl.
- After all of the batches of the chickpeas have been done, sauté the minced scallion and garlic. Place the sautéed scallion and garlic, as well as the minced mint leaves, in the bowl containing the chickpeas.
- Add the tomato sauce to the bowl. Add one cup of cold filtered water. Uncork the Chardonnay, test for quality, and add it to the mixture. Add the freshly ground black pepper and the garlic croutons and serve.
slices of whole wheat bread, lightly toasted
garlic cloves, chopped finely
tablespoon ablespoon olive oil, preferably organic extra-virgin
- Lightly heat the olive oil. Add the garlic cloves, sautéing them.
- Cut up the lightly toasted whole wheat bread into '/4" cubes, and mix with the sautéed garlic.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup