Walnut shortbread dulce de leche ice cream sandwich —Oh Sweet Day!
- Makes 15 sandwiches
- Walnut Shortbread
all purpose flour
unsalted butter, softened
- Dulce de Leche Ice cream
1 2/3 cups
dulce de leche
In This Recipe
- To prepare cookie dough, sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix in walnuts. Set aside.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in a bowl of a standing mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Gather dough and form a dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 3-inch rounds using a floured cookie cutter. Place on the prepared baking sheets and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let the cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare ice cream, combine milk, heavy cream, salt and dulce de leche in a medium sauce pan. Bring mixture to simmer, until dulce de leche is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Strain the mixture into another medium bowl. Let cool over a bowl of ice water, or chill in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
- Process mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch baking pan, level the top, cover and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- To assemble the sandwiches, remove ice cream from the freezer, use a cookie cutter to cut out a disc of ice cream and place it on top of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of the ice cream. Lightly press to adhere the sandwich.
- Roll or sprinkle the sides with chopped walnuts.
- Serve immediately. Or wrap each sandwich with plastic wrap and place them in the freezer.