If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Swap the traditional tomatoes for strawberries in this unique marinara sauce. The strawberries give this marinara a meatier taste and gentler tartness than typical tomato-based marinara. Goes well with fettuccine or spaghetti, topped with parmesan. —Janelle, TheOtium
- 3.5 cups diced strawberries
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- handful fresh oregano, chopped
- handful fresh basil, chopped
- Combine the strawberries, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and olive oil in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes — use white wine to deglaze the pan as needed. Use a potato masher to break up the strawberries.
- Add additional white wine, balsamic, and salt and pepper, all to taste. Continue to cook over medium heat until liquid is well incorporated into the sauce, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add chopped oregano and basil, stir well to incorporate, and cook until softened, only about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and toss with al dente pasta. Top with freshly-grated parmesan.