Author Notes: Winter has hit Perth in full force. The mornings are freezing, afternoons are nippy and we have very cold evenings. Infact as I write this post I see huge drops of rain falling on my window sill making a very comforting sound as the rain melts into the hungry, thirsty earth and I just love this moment. And this delicious Coconut & Tomato soup is something that keeps me warm in the cold winter months. It is a family favorite and something I enjoy making. —Bhavna
medium sized Tomatoes
teaspoon Turmeric powder
teaspoon Cumin seeds
teaspoon Mustard seeds
teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- Boil the Tomatoes in hot water till the skin peels off. I usually leave the Tomatoes in a bowl full of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Add the Tomatoes (skin and all), Green chilli, Coconut, Turmeric powder and Rice flour in a grinder and grind everything to a smooth paste. Add a cup of water depending and grind again. The consistency has to be thin and a little watery.
- In a round bottom pan add the Oil and once it heats up add the Curry leaves, Cumin and Mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter gently add the Tomato and Coconut paste, lowering the flame. Let the Saar come to a soft rolling boil before you add Salt as per taste.
- Let it boil on a very gentle flame for another 5 minutes before turning off the heat. Sprinkle the freshly chopped Coriander at the time of serving and serve hot. The Saar goes really well with fried Fish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup