Author Notes: This is a warm weather summer recipe made with traditional Caprese salad ingredients, though we have instead used them to make a garden fresh soup. —Michael Hultquist
salt and pepper to taste
slices crusty bread, like Italian bread
slices mozzarella cheese
tablespoons balsamic vinegar, reduced
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Blanch the tomatoes about 2 minutes to soften. Remove, cool slightly, and run them through a food mill. Add to a large pot and heat to low.
- Slice basil and add to the tomato. Stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and heat through.
- While soup is cooking, toast the bread lightly, then top with mozzarella cheese. Toast again until cheese is melted.
- Drizzle the cheesy bread with reduced balsamic vinegar and slice into sticks.
- Add the soup to two bowls and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve with cheesy bread sticks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup