If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a warm weather summer recipe made with traditional Caprese salad ingredients, though we have instead used them to make a garden fresh soup. —Michael Hultquist
- 4 large tomatoes
- 8 basil leaves
- 1 salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices crusty bread, like Italian bread
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, reduced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Blanch the tomatoes about 2 minutes to soften. Remove, cool slightly, and run them through a food mill. Add to a large pot and heat to low.
- Slice basil and add to the tomato. Stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and heat through.
- While soup is cooking, toast the bread lightly, then top with mozzarella cheese. Toast again until cheese is melted.
- Drizzle the cheesy bread with reduced balsamic vinegar and slice into sticks.
- Add the soup to two bowls and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve with cheesy bread sticks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup