If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I used my favorite method of preparing octopus, my SECRET method, and turned it into a thick stew. You can use either a full size cleaned octopus or baby octopi. —dymnyno
- 1 12 pounds octopus
- 1 jar black peppercorns(enough to cover the bottom of a Dutch oven)
- red wine vinegar (enough to barely cover the peppercorns)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes ,chopped
- 1 cup green onions, minced
- 1 cup red peppers, minced (either bell or other red pepper like gypsy)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups tomato juice
- tabasco sauce to taste, spicy
- 1 Hass avocado, cubed
- olive oil for drizzle
- In a Dutch oven put a single layer of black peppercorns, barely cover with red wine vinegar .
- Arrange the octopus on top of the peppercorns and vinegar. Toss in the cork from a good bottle of wine. Cover the pot
- Put the pot in a 250 degree oven for about an hour or until a toothpick is easily jabbed into the octopus.
- Remove from the oven and remove the octopus from the pot and cool in the fridge. It will firm up. *********An optional step is to brush the octopus with a little olive oil and grill it on a barbeque to add a little char flavor.
- Cut into chunks and toss with the lime juice.
- In another bowl, add the minced red pepper, minced green onion, chopped cherry tomatoes, garlic and cilantro to the tomato juice.
- Add the lime marinated octopus to the tomato juice mixture. Ladle into bowls.
- Add cubes of avocado to each bowl, a drizzle of olive oil and a slice of fresh lime.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique