Author Notes: Rice Krispies Treats (or RCTs as they're known in our house) are an all-time favorite of my husband's. The classic is great, but a few simple add-ins take these from simple to fabulous. Mini chocolate chips and crushed peppermint candies add texture and great flavor to a traditional snack food. —TheThinChef
Serves 15 to 20, depending on how big you cut them
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 10-ounce bag marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips - OR -
- 1/2 cup regular chocolate chips
- 1/3 to 1/2 cups crushed hard peppermint candies
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and cook, stirring, until completely melted.
- Take pan off heat. Stir in rice cereal. Gently fold in chocolate chips and peppermint candies. It's OK if the chips melt...it's part of what makes it good.
- Spread mixture in a 9x13-inch baking pan, or any high-sided baking pan. The size of the pan dictates how thick your treats will be.
- Set aside to cool and harden, about 30 minutes or so. Cover tightly, and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days...if they last that long!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack