If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had my first real dinner guest in my 6 month old apartment, and wanted to do something beyond the usual. Inspired by ingredients that I'd bought at the local community garden, I did a freeform riff using husk cherries, pickled steak- and squash blossoms. —SEB Market BK
- 1 smal radiccio lettuce
- 16 husk cherries (unhusked)
- 1 small sandwich steak
- 1 heirloom tomato, chopped in rough cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 sprinkle of sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 hour before dinner, sear a small sandwich steak in vegetable or olive oil until just cooked. Cut into strips, then cut the strips into chunks. place in airtight container and cover with vinegar. Add herbs and aromatics as desired. Cover and place in fridge.
- Take small head of radiccio lettuce and slice lengthwise into two halves. Place facedown in the pan with the steak drippings. Press down and cook for 5 minutes, until radicchio is darkened and front is slightly burned.Place each half on a salad plate.
- Take 3 squash blossoms and rinse carefully. Unfurl the blossom, and take out the stamen of the flower. Pick off stems from the outside of the blossom. Stuff each flower with a shred of mozzarells and twist closed around the cheese. Dredge each blossom in flower, then pan fry in the same steak/radicchio pan. Remove blossoms when they are lightly browned and crisp. Eat one blossom as a taste test (and reward), and set aside the remaining two to drain on a paper towel.
- Rinse heirloom tomato and cut off top. Chop the rest of the tomato into rough wedges and sprinkle half over each plate of radicchio.
- Take a ball of bufala mozzarella and tear into small, easily forked pieces. Sprinkle equal portions over radicchio and tomato.
- Unhusk and rinse 16 husk cherries. Sprinkle 8 cherries each over salad.
- Take pickled steak out of the fridge and measure out a tablespoon for each plate, which you will then sprinkle artistically over the rest of the salad.
- Place fried, stuffed squash blossoms on top of salad and serve.
- Accept all compliments gracefully and modestly, as you now rule the universe.