If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Thick, creamy, loaded with veggies and nacho cheese flavour -- using only whole foods and regular pantry ingredients. —Ashley Fehr
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 8 small potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1-2 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, add carrots, celery, onion and potatoes to broth (I get my broth heating while I chop my veg). Add chili powder, cumin, garlic and salt.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat. Cook, simmering over medium heat until potatoes and carrots are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prepare your roux. In a large bowl (make sure it's big enough -- you don't want it to boil over), melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in flour first, then milk.
- Heat in the microwave at 1 minute intervals (no longer), whisking each time, until thickened.
- Add to the soup once vegetables are cooked. Stir in corn and cheddar cheese.
- Garnish with more corn and cheese if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup