If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many years ago, Kitchen Garden Magazine asked readers what they do with herbs and this was my answer. They actually published my response, although it wasn't an actual recipe, just an explanation. After they printed it, I wrote out the recipe and it's been a family favorite ever since. —Risa Golding
pieces homemade whole grain bread
tablespoons pesto sauce
pieces sliced mozzarella cheese
piece heirloom tomato
tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
teaspoon salt and pepper
- Place bread on work surface.
- Place a slice of mozzarella on each slice of bread.
- Spread pesto on one slice of cheese.
- Top with tomato slice (from a slicing tomato, not a sauce tomato).
- Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt and pepper.
- Put sandwich together.
- Brush or spread the outside of the bread with softened butter (carefully so sandwich doesn't fall apart).
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add excess butter to skillet and add sandwich.
- Brown on both sides.
- Serve, sliced and garnished with a basil sprig, if you wish.