Author Notes: A subtly sweet Spanish dessert ~ perfect for end of summer days. —TammyRenea
ounces semi-sweet chocolate
cup milk plus 3 tbsp
sticks of butter, cut into tbsp size pieces
cup sugar plus 1 tbsp
tablespoons Licor 43 or rum (optional)
- Heat chocolate and 3 tablespoons of milk over low heat stirring until melted and well combined. Add the butter a piece at a time and stir until completely incorporated. Remove from the heat.
- Add egg mixture to the chocolate and thoroughly incorporate. Completely cool the mixture in the refrigerator.
- When mixture is completely cooled, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. (Do not over beat.) Add egg whites to cooled chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Heat 1 cup of milk with Licor 43 and a tablespoon of sugar until very warm. Remove from the heat.
- Dip cookies into warm milk and begin the bottom layer of the cake by laying the cookies in a circular pattern, slightly overlapping. (I used the outside of an 8” springform pan as a mold.) Pour some of the chocolate mixture over the top and spread to cover all the cookies. Make the next layer of cookies the same as the first. Repeat 3 more times. (There should be 4 layers of cookie and chocolate if using an 8” diameter mold.)
- Reserve any leftover cookies for crushing and garnishing. Refrigerate cake in the mold in the refrigerator for 5 hours. Remove mold and garnish with crushed cookies.
More Great Recipes: