If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A subtly sweet Spanish dessert ~ perfect for end of summer days. —TammyRenea
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup milk plus 3 tbsp
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, cut into tbsp size pieces
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 tbsp
- 2 tablespoons Licor 43 or rum (optional)
- 70 Maria Cookies
- Heat chocolate and 3 tablespoons of milk over low heat stirring until melted and well combined. Add the butter a piece at a time and stir until completely incorporated. Remove from the heat.
- Add egg mixture to the chocolate and thoroughly incorporate. Completely cool the mixture in the refrigerator.
- When mixture is completely cooled, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. (Do not over beat.) Add egg whites to cooled chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Heat 1 cup of milk with Licor 43 and a tablespoon of sugar until very warm. Remove from the heat.
- Dip cookies into warm milk and begin the bottom layer of the cake by laying the cookies in a circular pattern, slightly overlapping. (I used the outside of an 8” springform pan as a mold.) Pour some of the chocolate mixture over the top and spread to cover all the cookies. Make the next layer of cookies the same as the first. Repeat 3 more times. (There should be 4 layers of cookie and chocolate if using an 8” diameter mold.)
- Reserve any leftover cookies for crushing and garnishing. Refrigerate cake in the mold in the refrigerator for 5 hours. Remove mold and garnish with crushed cookies.
More Great Recipes: Desserts