If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ladies, go make sweet sexy time to your man then present him with a smoked portobello and gruyere Reuben. Either, both or separate are guaranteed to satisfy his inner Ron Swanson. —Lisa Brooke
Smoked Portobello and Gruyere Reuben
- 5 large portobello mushrooms, sliced lengthways into 1cm strips
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage sauerkraut
- 6 slices swiss gruyere
- 8 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- cracked pepper
- smoked sea salt flakes
Safflower Oil Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 pasteurised egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup safflower oil (or a LIGHT olive oil, depending on taste preference)
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Place portobello slices in a large bowl and drizzle over balsamic vinegar, olive oil, liquid smoke and a good pinch of smoked sea salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Place in one layer on a lined baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and caramelised. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise with the tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill. Arrange the bread on a large baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Grill until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer 4 slices of the bread to your work surface. Flip the remaining 4 slices on the baking sheet and top with the dressing, mushroom slices, cheese and sauerkraut. Return to the grill until the cheese is slightly melted. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve.
- For mayonnaise: Place first 5 ingredients in a food processor, pulse 3 - 4 times till combined. Very slowly drizzle in oil till ingredients start to emulsify. Makes 1 cup. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week in an airtight.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe