If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Beef brisket tenderly stewed with tomato sauce. —Chako
- 1 pound Brisket (Beef)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 10 Petite Tomatoes
- 1 Celery
- 2 Garlic
- 2 cups Red Wine
- 1 Tomato Can
- 1 Bay Leaf (Large Leaf)
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vingar for the Gastrique
- 2 teaspoons Water for the Gastrique
- Night before cooking : Cut the brisket into reasonable sizes (about 7cm squares) and soak overnight in red wine.
- Lightly flour the meat with flour and grill the meat in a frying pan over medium to strong heat until the surface is slightly brown.
- Using the same frying pan, saute the vegetables.
- Place both the meat and vegetables into a cast iron cookware (I personally use the Le Creuset) adding the remainder of the wine (used for soaking meat overnight), a can of chopped or whole tomato and bay leaf.
- Making Gastrique – Carmelise the water and sugar in a sauce pan adding red wine vinegar.
- Add the Gastrique to 4 and let it simmer for about 1.5 – 2 hours in low heat; adding salt and pepper as needed.