If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This sandwich earns it's name from the the umami rich ingredients used to make it. Substitute any deli meat you prefer or even make this into a burger. Since the tapenade and miso mayo are salty try the sandwich before adding additional salt. —brisketandbagels.com
Makes 4 sandwiches + extra tapenade
Umami Tsunami Sandwich
- 8 tomato slices (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 4 red onion slices (1/4 inch thick with rings kept intact)
- 8 tablespoons shiitake mushroom tapenade (see recipe below)
- 1 ounce baby arugula leaves
- 8 slices bread (toasting optional)
- 4 slices sharp cheddar
- 1 pound sliced roast beef
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roast the tomatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet brushed with oil for 30 minutes, or until tomatoes slightly brown.
- Combine the mayo and miso paste. Mix well.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on high heat. Add the onion slices once the pan is very hot and cook about 1-2 minutes per side till caramelized but still retain a crunchy texture.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Spread 2 tbsp tapenade on one slice of bread. Add 1/4 pound roast beef, one slice cheese, two slices tomato and 4 onion rings. Spread 1 tsp miso mayo on the other additional slice of bread. Assemble remaining sandwiches.
Shiitake Mushroom Tapenade
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 4 ounces kalamata olives pitted
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/8 cup olive oil + 2 teaspoons
- Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to a 12 inch skillet. Over high heat saute the mushrooms till browned. Add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a coarse texture.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe