If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This delicious sandwich is a wonderful combination of flavors, textures, and would almost be a vegetarians delight until the addition of crispy bacon. If you've never thought to combine tofu & bacon, now is your chance. A co-worker stumbled upon this recipe from Sunset Magazine and was kind enough to share it! We made a few modifications to suite our tastes and ended up with a killer sandwich! —First We Eat
- 14-16 ounces Firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Bread Rolls, we used Bolillo from our local Mexican grocery
- 2 Zuchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4" slices
- 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons Srisacha (or more if you like spicey!)
- 1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 Head of Red Cabbage, finely shopped
- 1 Lime, squeezed
- 4 pieces Bacon, cooked until crispy
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- Cut tofu into pieces about 1/2 inch thick and put into gallon Ziploc to marinade. Microplane the ginger and whisk together with the soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, sugar, and pepper. Pour into the Ziploc bag and make sure it's covering all tofu. Marinade overnight.
- Heat your grill or cast iron pan on high and seat tofu until grill marks appear and the tofu is heated through, turn once. Reserve the marinade and put your slices of zucchini into the bag that held the tofu and let it sit in the marinade for a few minutes before grilling the zucchini until tender and browned.
- Prep your remaining sandwich ingredients. Slice the avocado into thin slices and cook the bacon until crispy. Combine the mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl until blended well for spreading on your sandwich. In another bowl, combine your cilantro, cabbage, and jalapeno with the lime juice.
- Cut the sides of your bread toast to your liking, you could do this in the oven or on the grill, just until it's crisp. Now you're ready to assemble your sandwich! Spread the Sriracha mayo on both sides of the bread and layer your tofu, zucchini, bacon, avocado, and cilantro cabbage slaw. This sandwich is quite the mouthful, so we recommend cutting it in half first! Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe