If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sauce is one of the best ways to preserve tomatoes. Grilling the tomatoes adds a smokey flavor and softens the skins. —chris fischer
Makes: 3 pints
pounds ripe tomatoes, grilled or blanched, peeled and cored
cup olive oil
cups loosely packed basil leaves
- Note: This sauce can be made by leaving the skins on the tomatoes or peel them off by blanching in boiling water or blistering on the grill.
- Put the tomatoes in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven and place over a medium flame.
- Add the oil, basil, garlic and a little salt to the tomatoes.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then turn down to low and cook, stirring frequently until the tomatoes break down, release their juices and the sauce thickens––approximately 90 minutes.
- Season with additional salt. Refrigerate, freeze, can or serve immediately.