Author Notes: Sauce is one of the best ways to preserve tomatoes. Grilling the tomatoes adds a smokey flavor and softens the skins. —chris fischer
Makes: 3 pints
pounds ripe tomatoes, grilled or blanched, peeled and cored
cup olive oil
cups loosely packed basil leaves
In This Recipe
- Note: This sauce can be made by leaving the skins on the tomatoes or peel them off by blanching in boiling water or blistering on the grill.
- Put the tomatoes in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven and place over a medium flame.
- Add the oil, basil, garlic and a little salt to the tomatoes.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then turn down to low and cook, stirring frequently until the tomatoes break down, release their juices and the sauce thickens––approximately 90 minutes.
- Season with additional salt. Refrigerate, freeze, can or serve immediately.