If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe makes a delicious, comforting hearty sandwich, that is inspired by my Ukrainian, Eastern European heritage and culinary traditions. The creamy horseradish dressing gives a nice kick to the sandwich. —Bohdanna
Makes 4 hearty sandwiches
Creamy Horseradish-Mustard Dressing
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or regular salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground smoky paprika
Filing and Bread
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces turkey kovbasa (in two 8-once sections, slices into ¼ thick diagonal slices
- 1 piece small Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 16 ounces marinated sweet cherry peppers
- 16 ounces roasted bell peppers from jar, drained, divided
- 16 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 8 ounces apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared creamy horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons light cream or sour cream
- 8 pieces hearty pumpernickel bread slices
- In a small bowl, mix all of the Creamy Horseradish-Mustard Dressing ingredients until well blended. Cover and chill until needed.
- Lightly grease with 1 teaspoon olive oil, a large, heavy skillet saucepan set over medium heat. Add the kovbasa and sauté until medium-browned on both sides, about 6 minutes. Remove, cover and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to the saucepan. Stir in the chopped onions and sauté until tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in 8 ounces thinly sliced sweet cherry peppers, 4 ounces diced roasted bell peppers, 4 ounces thinly sliced peperoncini, and grated carrots. Continue sautéing vegetables another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sauerkraut, apple juice, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, mixing to blend well. Add in the kovbasa slices. Mix, cover pan with lid and sauté about 15-20 minutes.
- Add in 2 tablespoons horseradish and 3 tablespoons mustard. Stir well and sauté another 3 minutes. Add in the cream, blend and cook about 1 minute. Do not boil cream. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- To assemble sandwiches, dress each of the 8 slices of bread with about 1-1 1/2 tablespoons Creamy Horseradish-Mustard Dressing, to taste.
- Place some roasted red peppers over 4 of the slices. Top each evenly with 1/4 of the kovbasa-vegetable mixture. Top with another layer of roasted red peppers. Cover with remaining dressed pumpernickel slice.
- Place sandwiches on serving plates. Garnish with an optional side of marinated gardiniera salad, peppers or dill pickles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe