If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Risotto for breakfast? Why not? The steel cut oats take on an Arborio-like quality in this savory porridge. A great snowy morning dish to get you revved up for shoveling. - mrslarkin —mrslarkin
Food52 Review: Mrslarkin mentions that this is a great snowy morning dish, and I agree, but when I initially read the recipe I had a hunch it would be great for lunch paired with some greens, or as a side to chicken or juicy portobello mushrooms. This savory dish works well beyond breakfast and snowy days. I started off by toasting the oats to add a nutty quality to the dish. While things were cooking, I blanched the frozen peas in boiling water so that they’d be quickly finished off when they were added to the cooked oats along with the cheese and cream. I tasted the dish before adding cream, and it’s lovely without it too. —macollins
Serves 1 or 2
tablespoon unsalted butter
cup finely diced onion
cup steel cut oats (not quick cook) or oat groats (coarsley chopped in food processor)
cups hot chicken stock
cup frozen peas
cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, if desired
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and cook until translucent. Do not brown.
- Add oats and stir to coat the grains with the butter/onion mixture.
- In half-cup increments, ladle hot broth over oats and stir, as you would for risotto, until most of the broth is absorbed. Repeat this step until all the broth is absorbed, and oats are al dente, and still a little soupy.
- Taste the oats for salt and add some to the pot if needed.
- Add the peas and stir to combine. Turn off the heat. Fold in the cheese and cream. Let sit for a minute or so to let the oats absorb a little more liquid.
- Serve in warm bowls topped with additional cheese, and cracked black pepper if desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Risotto (Savory)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge