Author Notes: I'm a Southerner. We love grits. We love almost anything you can do to grits except sweeten them (that's reserved for cream-of-wheat). I personally favor my grits enhanced with cheese; this happy accident occurred when I impulsively tossed in some leftover caramelized onions from dinner the night before. And because anything's better with an egg on top, I added an over-easy one. And that required bacon so I'd have bacon fat in which to fry the egg. And a classic was born. —Kayb
- 1/2 cup grits (do NOT use quick or instant!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup grated hard cheese of your choice
- 1 egg
- 2 strips bacon
- Bring water to a boil over medium high heat; add grits, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, whisking occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon and drain. In 2 tbsp of bacon grease, fry the egg. (If there is any additional bacon grease, pour it into the grits. They will thank you.)
- Stir onions, cheese and butter into grits; pour into a bowl or onto a plate. Top with egg, and serve bacon alongside.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge